“What mental health needs is more sunlight, more candor, and more unashamed conversation.”
~ Glenn Close
We wholeheartedly believe that mental health should never be pushed aside or to be left in the dark corners. Mental health deserves our attention, not only when there are heavy, grey clouds hanging above our heads but also in the normal day to day. So, we’re very happy to share that we recently partnered with Spill, a company that offers mental health support to our team through Slack (Slack is a communication platform for businesses and we’d be lost without it, especially since we have team members in four different countries around the world!). With Spill, every Superbean (aka Better Nature team member) can get the emotional support they need or want.
At Better Nature, we want to do things #TheBetterWay: better for people, the planet and animals. And this mission goes beyond just nutritious plant-based protein. To us, promoting good mental health between ourselves and showing our team members that their wellbeing is incredibly important to us is a hugely important aspect of doing things #TheBetterWay.
Of course, we want to foster the kind of atmosphere where people feel like they can tell their team members if something is weighing them down. However, we also recognise that sometimes it’s easier and more beneficial to talk to a professional, and go through resources that have been carefully curated for these purposes. Safe to say, we’re very excited about our partnership with Spill!
So, what does Spill actually offer? It allows our team to do the following:
- Send a one-off question to a therapist. We can ask any question about mental health or emotional wellbeing and get a reply within one working day. This doesn’t require committing to the full process of therapy.
- Browse exercises from Spill’'s mental health and wellbeing toolkit. The toolkit contains a range of exercises that can help us change how we think, work, feel and behave.
- Browse Spill’s handpicked reading recommendations. Spill has a curated list of books and videos on everything from stress to how to build better relationships.
- Send a question to Spill’s manager advice line to get help with how to assist someone else. This advice line can be used also by other team members, not just managers.
- Book a one-off therapy session to get emotional coaching or talk through something with a therapist, without committing to a whole course of therapy.
- Request a course of therapy when you need it. If someone is struggling with low mood or anxiety, or any other difficult emotions that impact your daily life, they can talk to a therapist.
- Get a list of crisis lines. Spill is not a crisis service, but they have collated a list of crisis lines in case someone needs help urgently.
All for free and at the click of a button! What an amazing tool, hey?
We hope you all join us in remembering how important mental health is and that we all need to make it a priority in our lives, on the good days and the bad. You can’t pour from an empty cup, so take care of yourself and you’ll be in a better position to help others too! Sending lots of love and hugs your way x
P.S. In May, we wrote a blog post about mental wellbeing. We hope you find it helpful!